DNS Leak Protection
Do you have any DNS leak protection?
Yes we do! Leak protection is built into our Windows and Android applications. OpenVPN has leak protection built into the application. You can also add leak protection to manual connections by changing your DNS settings.
Adding Leak Protection Manually
- Open the VPNUK connection Properties and select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
- Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
- Click OK.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
- Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the VPNUK Public DNS server: 22.214.171.124 or the Google DNS servers: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
- Go to the VPNUK connection and click onto the ‘Advanced’ button.
- Select the ‘DNS’ tab.
- Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the VPNUK Public DNS server: 184.108.40.206 or the Google IP addresses at the top of the list: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
- Click Apply and OK
- Go to the VPNUK connection and click Edit, in the window that appears, select the IPv4 Settings tab.
- If the selected method is Automatic (DHCP), open the dropdown and select Automatic (DHCP) addresses only instead. If the method is set to something else, do not change it.
- In the DNS servers field, enter the VPNUK Public DNS server: 22.214.171.124 or the Google Public DNS IP addresses: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
- Click Apply to save the change. If you are prompted for a password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to ‘Wireless and Network’ settings.
- Go to ‘Wi-Fi’.
- Click your connection from the list of available networks for a few seconds and select ‘Modify network’ when the option appears.
- Select the option to ‘Show advanced options’ and ensure the IP Settings dropdown is set to ‘Static’.
- Change ‘DNS 1’ to the VPNUK Public DNS server: 184.108.40.206 or the Google Public DNS IP address: 220.127.116.11. Thats it!
- Go to Settings.
- Go to ‘General’.
- Go to ‘Network’.
- Select the connection type you use to access the internet.
- Select your connection properties from the list of available networks.
- Change ‘DNS’ to the VPNUK Public DNS server: 18.104.22.168 or the Google Public DNS IP address: 22.214.171.124. Thats it!